During the 2022 Legislative Session an amendment was made to Florida Statute 1002.31. As part of a school district’s controlled open enrollment process, and in addition to the existing public school choice programs provided in s. 1002.20(6)(a), each district school board shall allow a parent from any school district in the state whose child is not subject to a current expulsion or suspension to enroll his or her child in and transport his or her child to any public school that has not reached capacity. The school district shall accept the student, pursuant to that school district’s controlled open enrollment process, and report the student for purposes of the school district’s funding pursuant to the Florida Education Finance Program. A school district may provide transportation to students described under this section. This amendment to Florida Statute 1002.31 is requiring our district to restructure our plan for the 2022-2023 school year and beyond.
The plan requires that any student who is living outside the zones set for each district school to complete an Annual School Reassignment Application. Students who live outside the school district will also be required to complete the application. Priority will be given to Holmes District Schools students first, along with court orders, foster care and military relocation. Holmes School District has set student capacity limits at each of our schools based on grade/ section levels. At this time, Holmes School District does not see an issue with students continuing to attend a school outside of their zone but will require that the application process be followed for each student.
Complete one application ANNUALLY for each child in grades K-12 that you are requesting to have attend a school outside of your zoned area (a zoning map is available by scrolling down to the Related Documents section.)
Ensure that there is available capacity in the grade level at the school you are applying for.
Make sure to carefully read all Controlled Open Enrollment requirements when completing the online application:
- Maintain Good Grades
- Maintain Good Attendance
- Maintain Good Behavior
- Be prepared to provide transportation to and from school or to the closest bus stop for your child if no bus route for the requested school goes by your home or if the closest bus is at capacity
- Please be aware that all approved Controlled Open Enrollment applications can be revoked at any time during the school year if one or more of the requirements are not maintained
All students who reside outside of the state of Florida must request a waiver from the district office of the school system they reside in.
All waivers must be submitted to Mr. Matt Tate, 701 East Pennsylvania Avenue, Bonifay, Florida 32425 or [email protected] for school board approval no later than July 31 of the current year. Any out of state student who does not have a waiver approved by the school board will have their Controlled Open Enrollment approval revoked.
Click here to access the application form.
- Holmes District Schools Open Enrollment Plan 2022-23.pdf (165.5 KBs)
- Controlled Open Enrollment Frequently Asked Questions.pdf (201.4 KBs)
- Policy 5.23.pdf (126.6 KBs)
- District School Zones Map.jpg (7.8 MBs)
- Determination of Maximum School Capacity 2023-24.pdf (174.2 KBs)
- School Numbers Section-Grade Level- March 2023.pdf (78.4 KBs)