The CDC recommends that individuals and families follow everyday preventive measures including:
• Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
• If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%-95% alcohol.
• Stay home when you are sick. Individuals should be fever-free for 24 hours prior to returning to work or school.
• Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then be sure to throw it in the trash can.
• Routinely clean frequently touched surfaces and objects.
• Health experts recommend getting a flu shot to reduce the chances of getting the regular flu and weakening your immune system further.